Research Summary 1
Write a one-page (300-350 word) paper summarizing the assigned review of Michael J. Sandel’s What Money Can’t Buy. You will be assigned one of the following three articles:
- Illouz, Eva. “Does Money Undermine Social Relations?” The Hedgehog Review 14.3 (2012): 89+.
- McCarraher, Eugene. “Capitalism and Our Moral Imagination.” The Hedgehog Review 14.3 (2012): 87+.
- Schor, Juliet. “An Alternative Economy.” The Hedgehog Review 14.3 (2012): 91.
Offer a concise but thorough summary of the position this source is advocating. Start by introducing the article: who wrote it, what is it about, what controversy is it engaging with, and what position does it take? Then clearly describe the two or three main points that the author makes to support their position. Conclude by briefly describing how this article is relevant to your understanding of the controversy.
An effective research summary should be descriptive, rather than evaluative. Do not give your opinion of the article, or the controversy. Write in a formal tone, using a scholarly style. Back up your description with quotes when appropriate, followed by the page number in parentheses. Rather than covering all the points an author makes, clearly synthesize the information into a useful summary.
RS1 will be graded credit/no credit, with the exception of late penalties. Papers will not be accepted unless they meet the parameters below. The “content” and “writing” requirements are general guidelines for all upcoming assignments.
- Supported with quotes
- Synthesized (determining and organizing summary by most important elements of source argument; not an enumerative summary e.g. “Source says first point, second point, third point”)
- Free of RS writer’s opinion
- Clear, easy to follow
- Concise language
- Correct spelling & grammar
Note: research summaries that do not meet these parameters will not be accepted.
- 300-350 words
- Single spaced
- Times New Roman or Garamond, 12pt font
- MSWord Compatible (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .otd)
- Upper left corner: Name, date, RHE306
- Title in center
- MLA citation of article below title