Popular Article Analysis
For your rhetorical analysis, you will be asked to compare the persuasive strategies of two texts that take a position on your controversy. For this assignment, you are asked to complete the “science worksheet” worksheet for one of your chosen articles. Then, write a 300-350 word paper in which you analyze the article’s use of rhetorical devices.
This research summary must be accompanied by a completed Science Worksheet for your article.
This research summary must include three sections:
In the first section of your summary, briefly introduce the controversy and your chosen source.
In the second part of your summary, describe how your article uses science as a persuasive strategy (or not!), using 3-4 examples. Your subject for analysis might include the kinds of studies being cited, the language used to describe the studies, or the way that those studies are used to construct a logical argument.
For each example, you’ll need to both clearly describe the example (using quotes if necessary) and provide a hypothesis that explains the persuasive purpose of the example. Consider writing each paragraph in the form of a “quotation sandwich”:
- Introduce your hypothesis
- Describe your example (with quotes as necessary)
- Interpret the example to explain how the article uses scientific discourse as a persuasive strategy.
To conclude, think briefly about the article more broadly. What does this analysis reveal about the article? About its position?
Your writing will be evaluated on the follow criteria:
- Clarity: is you argument clearly organized and articulated?
- Analysis: does the analysis show a sophisticated understanding of the rhetoric?
- Examples: do you provide clear and specific examples, using quotations when necessary?
- Writing: Do you write in an appropriate style, using consistent grammar, spelling, and punctuation? Is your essay the appropriate length?
Your paper must meet the following parameters, evaluated as shown below:
- Name (upper left corner): 2 points
- Date (upper left corner): 2 points
- Rhetoric 309k (upper left corner): 2 points
- Running Head (short title, all caps, in header): 2 points
- Title: top center: 2 points
- Page numbers: 2 points
- Times New Roman or Garamond fonts, 1.5 spacing: 2 points
- Note: essays written in more than one font will receive a 7-point penalty.
Proper APA Citation:
- Citations on Reference Page: 3 points
- Reference page separated using a “page break”: 1 point
- Formatting errors: -1 point for each error
- Content errors: -3 points for each error
Science Worksheet: should be completed for each article. 5 points per article.